Holder: OPR Report on Torture Memo Authors Expected ‘Soon’
By Mary Jacoby | May 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Attorney General Eric Holder today said he had not yet seen the long-awaited Office of Professional Responsibility Report on potential professional misconduct of the Bush-era authors of the legal memos authorizing brutal interrogations.

 “I have not seen the report, I’m not sure whether the deputy [David Ogden] has it or not. It will go through the deputy’s office before it comes to me,” Holder said at a news conference on the 7th floor of Main Justice today to unveil a new DOJ-HHS health care fraud task force.

The report has been five years in the making. Then-Attorney General Michael Mukasey asked last year that OPR delay approving a final version until the accused Bush-era Office of Legal Counsel lawyers (John Yoo, Steven Bradbury, Jay Bybee) had a chance to review the allegations.

It’s not clear whether Holder will release the reports or parts of it publicly, though there is intense congressional and public pressure for him to do so. Asked when he thought the report would be on his desk for review, he said: “Soon.”

Asked if that meant “weeks” or “months,” the careful Holder repeated: “Soon.”

RELATED POSTS:

Comments are closed.