The Senate Judiciary Committee today released its questionnaire on Carmen Ortiz (Adelphi University, George Washington University Law School), nominated to replace Michael J. Sullivan as U.S. Attorney in Massachusetts. Sullivan resigned April 19 to join The Ashcroft Group.
- Born in New York City in 1956.
- Has served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in Massachusetts since 1997.
- Was a senior trial attorney at the Quincy, Mass., law firm Morisi & Associates, P.C. from 1994 to 1997.
- Taught at the Northeastern University School of Law in Boston, Mass. in 1995.
- Was on the board of directors of Cambridge-based Cambridge and Somerville Legal Services from 1993 to 1996.
- Was a member of the board of directors of the Massachusetts Association of Hispanic Attorneys from 1992 to 1994.
- Worked on Senate Foreign Relations Committee in 1992 .
- Worked in the Middlesex County, Mass. district attorney’’s office as an Assitant District Attorney from 1983 to 1988 and again from 1991 – 1994. She also was the director of district courts from 1992 to 1994 and the director of training from 1991 to 1992.
- Was a program coordinator at Harvard Law School’s Center for Criminal Justice from 1988 to 1991.
- Worked at the now-defunct Braintree, Mass., law office Marinelli & Morisi from 1988 to 1989.
- Worked in the Justice Department’s Criminal Division as a trial attorney 1981 to 1983.
- Was a summer intern in DOJ’s Public Integrity Section in 1980.
- Has tried an estimated 150 cases to verdict, 36 percent of which were jury trials.
- Worked for the National Football League as an investigator in 1990.
- Was a hostess at Quincy’s Restaurant in Arlington, Va., from 1981 to 1982.
- Worked at the Ortiz gift shop in Brooklyn, N.Y., from 1974 to 1978.
Click here for her full questionnaire.
UPDATE: According to her Office of Government Ethics disclosure, Ortiz has numerous funds and stock holdings valued at between $379,025 and $1.52 million. She does not report owning any property or having any debt. On her Senate Judiciary Committee financial disclosure, Ortiz lists assets valued at $2,308,700 and liabilities of $55,100, for a net worth of $2,253,600. She reports $1,117,400 in real estate and has $452,200 in securities.