Michael W. Cotter (University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame Law School) is nominated to replace William W. Mercer as the U.S. Attorney for Montana.
- Born in Seattle in 1949.
- Has had a private practice for the majority of his career. From 1978 to 1983 in South Bend, Ind. From 2000 to 2007 in Great Falls, Mont. Since 2007 in Helena, Mont.
- Was a partner at Cotter & Cotter in Great Falls, Mont., from 1985 to 2000.
- Worked in the Law Offices of John C. Hoyt in Great Falls, Mont.. from 1984 to 1985 and 1977 to 1978 as an associate.
- Was a law clerk for Robert D. Lee and Barnes & Thornburg in South Bend, Ind.
- Worked as a bartender at Corby’s Irish Pub in South Bend, where scenes from the 1993 Notre Dame football movie “Rudy” were filmed.
- Earned a Masters of Business Administration from University of Utah.
- Was a 1st Lieutenant in the Army from 1972 to 1974, when he was honorably discharged.
- Has tried between 150 to 175 cases, 80 percent of which he was sole or chief counsel. Of those cases, 35 percent were jury trials and 65 percent were non-jury trials.
Click here for his full questionnaire.
UPDATE: On his Office of Government Ethics financial disclosure Cotter reports earning a salary of $70,170. On his Senate Judiciary financial disclosure he reports assets valued at $2,638,000 and liabilities of $493,000 for a net worth of $2,145,000.