Sanford Charles “Sandy” Coats (Tulane University, University of Oklahoma College of Law) is nominated to replace John C. Richter, who resigned as the U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Oklahoma.
- Born in Oklahoma City in 1971.
- Has served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the district since January 2004. Simultaneously was the chief of the major crimes section and Project Safe Childhood coordinator from October 2007 to August 2008.
- Was an Associate U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District of Louisiana from April 2007 to September of 2007.
- Worked at Fellers, Snider, Blankenship, Bailey & Tippens in Oklahoma City, as a law clerk from January 1998 to June 1998 and as an associate from January 1999 to December 2003.
- Clerked for Judge Marian P. Opala in the Oklahoma Supreme Court from August 1998 to December 1998.
- Was a legal intern for Judge Tim Leonard of the Western District of Oklahoma from September 1998 to December 1998.
- Clerked for the American Central Gas Company’s general counsel from June 1998 to August 1998.
- Clerked for McKinney & Stringer in Oklahoma City, during the summer of 1997.
- Sold ads for the Oklahoma Gazette from September 1994 to May 1995.
- Has tried about 14 cases to verdict, three of which he was sole counsel, seven of which he was chief counsel and four of which he was associate counsel. Of those cases, 86 percent were jury trials and 14 percent were non-jury trials.
Click here to view his full questionnaire.
UPDATE: On his Senate Judiciary financial disclosure, Coats reports assets of $529,900 and liabilities of $160,000 for a net worth of $369,900. His assets include real estate valued at $300,000.
On his Office of Government Ethics disclosure, Coats does not report any real estate owned or any liabilities.