Nicholas Klinefeldt (University of Iowa, University of Iowa College of Law) has been nominated to replace Matthew G. Whitaker as the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Iowa.
- Born in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1974.
- Attended Des Moines Area Community College and Drake University.
- Has been an associate at Ahlers & Cooney, P .C. since March 2006.
- Served as counsel for the Iowa Democratic Party in Des Moines from fall 2006 to March 2009.
- Worked as state counsel to the 2008 Obama presidential campaign in Des Moines, from August 2008 to November 2008.
- Was an associate at Kelly, Libby & Hoopes, P.C. in Boston, Mass., from September 2003 to February 2006.
- Clerked in the Massachusetts Court of Appeals from September 2002 to August 2003.
- Worked as a law clerk for Judge Robert W. Pratt in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa from August 2000 to August 2002.
- Clerked for Tindal, Erdahl, Goddard & Nestor, P.C. in Iowa City, Iowa, from fall 1998 to spring 1999 and from fall 1999 to summer 2000.
- Was a law clerk for Federal Public Defender in Des Moines during the summer of 1999.
- Worked as a summer counselor at Camp Dodge in Johnston, Iowa, during the summer of 1998.
- Was a staff assistant to the legislative director for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) from February 1997 to August 1997.
- Was a field organizer/regional field organizer on Harkin’s campaign from January 1996 to November 1996.
- Has tried one federal criminal case to verdict at a jury trial as sole counsel, approximately three to five to judgment in front of a magistrate in small claims court as sole counsel and one attorney disciplinary matter to final decision in front of a three-attorney panel as associate counsel.
Click here for his full Senate Judiciary Committee questionnaire.
UPDATE: On his Senate Judiciary financial disclosure Klinefeldt reported assets of $296,300 (mostly from his personal residence valued at $242,000). However, Klinefeldt still owes $218,400 on the property, owes $61,800 in student loans and has credit card debt. In total, Klinefeldt has liabilities of $289,100, resulting in a net worth of $7,200.
From his current job as an associate with the law firm Ahlers & Cooney PC in Des Moines, Iowa, Klinefeldt receives a salary of $156,221.76, according to his Office of Government Ethics disclosure. He also hold various investment accounts, valued at between $37,009 and $205,000. He does not report owning any property. Klinefeldt’s debt includes two loans at between $65,002 and $150,000