Sen. Burr Won’t Stall U.S. Attorney Confirmation
By Andrew Ramonas | December 7, 2009 5:09 pm

Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) doesn’t plan to delay the confirmation of the U.S. Attorney nominee for his state’s Eastern district, The News & Observer in Raleigh, N.C., reported Friday.

Richard Burr (Gov)

Richard Burr (Gov)

Sen. Kay Hagan (D-N.C.) recommended  Thomas G. Walker as the nominee for U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina in July. But she asked the White House to allow current U.S. Attorney George E.B. Holding, who was appointed by President George W. Bush, to continue his oversight of federal probes into former Gov. Mike Easley and Sen. John Edwards, who are both Democrats.

President Obama nominated Walker last week, but the White House hasn’t spoken about whether Holding would be asked to remain to work on those cases after Walker is confirmed.

Hagan, who won a close election last year in her conservative state, has bent over backwards to avoid appearing as if she supports removing Holding from his position overseeing the Easley and Edwards investigations.

She can withhold a “blue slip” from the Senate Judiciary Committee for Walker — delaying action on the nomination — if the White House doesn’t want Holding to continue his work on the probes once Walker is confirmed. Senators can hold up a nominee from their state if they do not return a “blue slip” in favor of the nominee.

Hagan said in a conference call with reporters last week that she hasn’t thought about that option, according to the Raleigh newspaper. But, as for her Republican colleague Burr, he said he would not delay Senate action on the Democratic nominee.

RELATED POSTS:

Comments are closed.