William N. Nettles (The Military College of South Carolina, Widener University School of Law) is nominated to replace William Walter Wilkins III as the U.S. Attorney for South Carolina.
- Born in Sumter, S.C., in 1961.
- Has been a member of Sanders & Nettles, LLC in Columbia, S.C., since 2005.
- Owner of a private law practice in Columbia from November 1997 to 0ctober 2005.
- Was a member of Banks & Nettles, LLC in Camden, S.C., from September 1995 to May 1997.
- Worked as an attorney in the Richland County public defender office in Columbia from August 1992 to September 1995.
- Was a law clerk at Mellon, Webster & Shelley in Doylestown, Pa., from May 1991 to May 1992.
- Worked as a law clerk at the Chesapeake Bay Foundation in Harrisburg, Pa., from August 1990 to May 1991.
- Was the head sailing instructor at the Corinthian Yacht Club of Cape May in Cape May, N.J., from May 1990 to August 1990.
- Worked in sales at Napco Pipe in Worcester, Mass., from June 1989 to June 1990.
- Was the owner of RGHGroup, a manufacturing company, in Forest Grove, Pa., from 1984 to 1990.
- Worked as a laborer and in the sales department of AC Elfman Construction in Doylestown, Pa., from October 1983 to 1984.
- Has resigned from the Sons of the High Hills of Santee, an organization of descendants from an area of Sumter County, S.C. In his questionnaire, Nettle writes, “On the few occasions I attended the lunch, I do not recall seeing any African Americans in attendance. I feel sure the organization has no formal discriminatory requirements, and I am uncertain of any policies that have the practical effect of discriminating. Out of an abundance of caution, however, I have written a letter resigning.”
- Has been counsel for the South Carolina Democratic Party since 2002.
- Was a member of the Obama for President voter protection effort from 2007 to 2008.
- Has tried more than 50 cases, serving as lead counsel on the majority of them.
Click here for his full Senate Judiciary Committee questionnaire.
UPDATE: On his Senate Judiciary financial disclosure, Nettles reports assets valued at $1.8 million mostly in securities and real estate. He owns three properties — his personal residence, a vacation home and his office — valued at a combined $670,000. He reports $358,600 in liabilites from his mortgages. His net worth is $1.5 million.