White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Tuesday the Obama administration will take several more weeks to reach a final decision on whether the Sept. 11th plotters will be tried in a military commission instead of a civilian court.
The Washington Post reported last week that aides to President Obama are close to recommending that self-proclaimed Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his alleged accomplices be tried in a military court. But Gibbs warned reporters at Tuesday’s daily White House press briefing that a decision will not happen in the coming days.
“I don’t expect a decision on that for several or many weeks,” Gibbs said.
The White House has faced pressure from both sides of the aisle to reverse Attorney General Eric Holder’s decision to try the terrorism suspects in a New York federal court. Obama is now personally involved in selecting the location of the KSM trial, Gibbs said.
“The president obviously has gotten involved because Congress has actively been involved in venue options for any trial involving Khalid Sheikh Mohammed,” Gibbs said.