Wendy J. Olson (Drake University, Stanford Law School) is nominated to be the Idaho U.S. Attorney. She would replace Bush holdover Thomas E. Moss who became a U.S. Attorney in 2001.
- Born in Pocatello, Idaho, in 1964.
- Attended but did not earn a degree from University of Southern California.
- Has worked in the Idaho U.S. Attorney’s office since 1997. Was an Assistant U.S. Attorney from March 1997 to May 2006 and has served as Senior Litigation Counsel since May 2006.
- Worked in the Civil Division at Justice Department headquarters in Washington, D.C. from October 1992 to February 1997, first as a trial attorney then as Deputy Director of Operations for the National Church Arson Task Force.
- Was an adjunct professor of legal writing at George Washington University Law School from January 1994 to February 1997.
- Clerked for Chief U.S. District Judge Barbara J. Rothstein in Seattle from August 1990 to August 1992.
- Worked as a research assistant at Stanford Law School during the 1989 to 1990 school year.
- Was a legal intern at the Student Press Law Center during the summer of 1989.
- Worked as a legal intern at Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering (now Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP) during the summer of 1989.
- Was a legal intern at the Media Access Project during the summer of 1988.
- Interned at the Los Angeles Times sports department during the summer of 1987.
- Has tried 33 cases to verdict, judgment or final decision in federal court. Served as co-counsel on 16 of those cases and sole counsel on the other 17. Tried an additional case through close of the defendant’s case. Also has tried approximately 10 to 15 one-day or less than one-day misdemeanor cases in Washington, D.C., Superior Court while on detail to the U.S. Attorney’s office for the District of Columbia.
Click here for her full Senate Judiciary Committee questionnaire.
UPDATE: On her Senate Judiciary financial disclosure Olson reported assets of $737,400, mostly from her personal residence, and liabilities of $467,600, mostly from a mortgage, for a net worth of $269,800.
On her Office of Government Ethics financial disclosure Olson did not report any real estate holdings or liabilities related to real estate.