Joseph Hogsett (Indiana University, Indiana University School of Law, Butler University, Christian Theological Seminary) was nominated on July 14 to be the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Indiana. He would succeed Susan W. Brooks, who stepped down as U.S. Attorney in 2007.
- Born in Rushville, Ind., in 1956.
- Has been a partner at the law firm of Bingham McHale LLP in Indianapolis since 2000, was of counsel at the firm from 1997 to 1999 and an associate at the firm from 1981 to 1987.
- Served as the chairman of Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign in Indiana from 2007 to 2008.
- Was the chairman of the Indiana Democratic Party from 2003 to 2004.
- Served as ex officio member of the board of directors of Rush County Community Foundation, a non-profit charity.
- Was chief of staff and senior adviser to then-Indiana Gov. Evan Bayh (D) from 1995 to 1997.
- Was secretary of state of Indiana from 1989 to 1994 and deputy secretary of state in 1987 and from 1988 to 1989.
- Served as campaign manager for Bayh’s gubernatorial bid in 1988 and secretary of state of Indiana bid in 1986.
- Was on the board of trustees of the Indianapolis Chamber Orchestra from 1985 to 1987.
- Was on the board of directors of the Indiana University School of Law Alumni Association from 1984 to 1987.
- Was a law clerk at the Monroe County Superior Court from 1979 to 1980 and 1980 to 1981.
- Was a summer associate at the law firm of Ice Miller Donadio & Ryan (now Ice Miller LLP) in Indianapolis.
- Was an assistant manager at the Rushville City Swimming Pool in 1978.
- Has tried about 37 cases to verdict, serving as sole or chief counsel in almost all of the cases.
Click here for his full Senate Judiciary Committee questionnaire.
On his Senate Judiciary financial disclosure, Hogsett reported assets valued at almost $1 million, mostly from securities and real estate, and $218,200 in liabilities from mortgages, for a net worth of $756,000.
UPDATE: On his Office of Government Ethics financial disclosure, Hogsett reported a $320,743 salary from Bingham McHale LLP.