My Decision to Stop Defending DOMA, Holder Says
By Elizabeth Murphy | December 12, 2012 2:40 pm

The decision to stop defending the Defense of Marriage Act, which is facing a challenge in the Supreme Court early next year, was made entirely within the Justice Department, said Attorney General Eric Holder at a forum in Boston Tuesday evening.

The Supreme Court announced last week it would take a case challenging the constitutionality of the 1996 law that prohibits the federal recognition of same-sex marriages. The Justice Department in February 2011 said it would no longer defend DOMA in court. Holder wouldn’t say much on the subject of same-sex marriage, but he did say the decision to stop defending the law because it was unconstitutional was made within the Justice Department, according to a report by CNN.

Holder went to President Barack Obama with the determination, and the president agreed.

“If he hadn’t, it would have been interesting,” Holder said.

Holder spoke at a civil rights forum in Boston on Tuesday night at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library.

RELATED POSTS:

Comments are closed.

Fox News reporter Catherine Herridge says her sources at the FBI and Justice Department are “super pissed off” with the White House for commenting on the Hillary Clinton email investigation.

JUSTICE DEPARTMENT NEWS RELEASES
An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.