New Orleans Prosecutor in Online Commenting Scandal to Retire
By Elizabeth Murphy | December 14, 2012 1:47 pm

The former deputy to now-ex U.S. Attorney Jim Letten in New Orleans is planning to retire by the end of the year, according to a report by TV station Fox 8. A local blog said Jan Mann would be gone by the end of today.

Jan Mann

Mann admitted to posting disparaging online comments about ongoing federal probes and was demoted from as First Assistant U.S. Attorney in November. She was the second long-time prosecutor in the New Orleans U.S. Attorney’s office to admit to posting on nola.com, the New Orleans Times-Picayune’s website. Former Assistant U.S. Attorney Sal Perricone resigned in March after the allegations against him were ¬†revealed in a lawsuit filed by an executive who was the target of an ongoing federal probe.

The scandal forced the office’s 11-year chief, Letten, to announce his resignation last week. Letten had previously defended his office,and Mann, saying that no one knew of Perricone’s activities online.

Mann’s husband¬†Jim Mann, who is also a prosecutor in the office and reportedly a close friend of Perricone, will also be retiring, the Fox 8 report said.

Mann and Perricone are under investigation by the Justice Department’s Office of Professional Responsibility, which investigates prosecutor misconduct allegations.

RELATED POSTS:

Comments are closed.

JUSTICE DEPARTMENT NEWS RELEASES
An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.