Jan Mann, New Orleans AUSA, Retires Amid Controversy
By Elizabeth Murphy | December 17, 2012 3:07 pm

Amid a controversy that forced longtime U.S. Attorney Jim Letten to resign, the office’s former No. 2 has officially retired in the Eastern District of Louisiana,  according to a report by the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

Jan Mann

Jan Mann, the former First Assistant U.S. Attorney, who was demoted to Assistant U.S. Attorney, retired along with her husband Jim Mann, also a prosecutor in the office, an office spokeswoman told the Times-Picayune on Monday. Rumors swirled Friday that the pair was preparing for a departure.

Jan Mann had been engulfed in controversy since November, when allegations surfaced that she posted a number of disparaging online comments about ongoing federal probes at Nola.com, the New Orleans Times-Picayune’s website. She was the second longtime prosecutor to be called out for such conduct, with Assistant U.S. Attorney Sal Perricone resigning in March after he was outed as the author behind a prolific commenting alias. Perricone and Mann were sued by Fred Heebe, who is under scrutiny as part of an ongoing wide-ranging federal probe.

Letten, whose resignation took effect last week, demoted his longtime No. 2 after she admitted to the comments in November.

RELATED POSTS:

Comments are closed.

Fox News reporter Catherine Herridge says her sources at the FBI and Justice Department are “super pissed off” with the White House for commenting on the Hillary Clinton email investigation.