Brower, a Republican, was unanimously appointed to represent Senate District 3 by the Washoe County Commission, which includes Reno.
Brower served two years as U.S. attorney in Nevada from 2007 to 2009. He is a former state assemblyman who served in the 1999 and 2001 sessions. He was defeated in 2002 by GOP rival Sharron Angle, who later went on to fame as a Tea Party favorite in her unsuccessful 2010 challenge to Sen. Harry Reid, the Democratic majority leader.
At the Las Vegas-based law firm, Brower focused on complex civil and white collar criminal litigation, as well as corporate investigations and administrative law.
Brower will replace Bill Raggio (R), who retired after 38 years as the longest-serving senator in state history.
Former Nevada U.S. Attorney Gregory A. Brower next week will become a partner at the Las Vegas-based Snell & Wilmer L.L.P., the law firm announced today. Brower resigned Thursday as Daniel Bogden was sworn in as the district’s new U.S. Attorney. Bogden, who was confirmed Sept. 15, was fired in 2006 as part of the Bush administration’s U.S. Attorney purge.
Brower had served as the district’s head prosecutor since December 2007. As a partner in the firm, Brower will focus on complex civil litigation, criminal investigations, regulatory enforcement actions, corporate compliance matters, internal investigations and administrative law issues, according to the firm.
Brower has been mentioned as a possible Republican opponent for Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) in 2010 or as a Nevada attorney general candidate.
Posted in News | 1 Comment »
As four new Obama-appointed U.S. Attorneys took their oaths of office this week, their predecessors resigned. They are:
- Hawaii: Edward H. Kubo Jr. resigned yesterday. He had been the Hawaii’s U.S. Attorney since 2001. Kubo recently was one of six people who was nominated to fill a vacancy on the state First Circuit Court. Florence Nakakuni was sworn in yesterday. She was confirmed Sept. 29.
- Nebraska: Joe W. Stecher resigned this morning. He has been the district’s U.S. Attorney since 2007. Stecher said, “I have a few options” both in the private and public sectors. Deborah Gilg was sworn in today. She was confirmed Sept. 29.
Nevada: Gregory A. Brower resigned this morning. He had been the district’s U.S. Attorney since 2007. Brower has not announced official plans but has been mentioned as a possible Republican opponent for Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) in 2010 or as a Nevada attorney general candidate. Daniel Bogden was sworn in 10 a.m. Pacific Time. He was confirmed Sept. 15. Bogden was fired in 2006 as part of the Bush administration’s U.S. Attorney purge. Reid recommended him to President Obama for his old job.
- Western District of Washington: Jeffrey C. Sullivan resigned today. He had been the district’s interim U.S. Attorney since John McKay was forced out during the U.S. Attorney firings in 2006. Sullivan will remain in the office, working as a prosecutor in the criminal division. Jenny Durkan was sworn in this morning. She was confirmed Sept. 29.
Andrew Ramonas contributed to this report.
Posted in News | 3 Comments »
Las Vegas lawyers with ties to Washington told The Las Vegas Sun that they think Daniel Bogden, Sen. Harry Reid’s pick for Nevada U.S. Attorney, has hit a hitch during the vetting process. Read The Sun article from today here.
Reid, the Senate Majority Leader from Nevada,
recommended in March that President Obama nominate Bogden as U.S. Attorney. Bogden had served as the Nevada U.S. Attorney from 2001 until 2006, when he was fired during the U.S. Attorney purge.
“It’s obvious to everybody that something is afoot,” an unnamed federal prosecutor told The Sun. “Harry Reid is the most powerful person in Congress, and yet the name of his guy isn’t moving forward.”
Reid spokesperson Jon Summers told The Sun that the Senate Majority Leader continued to stand behind his recommendation, which is also supported by embattled Nevada Republican Sen. John Ensign.
Ensign, who recommended Bogden to be U.S. Attorney in 2001, is in the middle of a growing scandal involving his former mistress. The Nevada Republican admitted this June to an extramarital affair with Cindy Hampton, a former campaign staffer. He said this month his parents gave Hampton and her family $100,000 for the trouble she is going through. Liberal watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington urged Attorney General Eric Holder to probe the matter.
“It really doesn’t help Bogden’s chances at all to be so close to Ensign at this time when there’s some serious conversation about whether the circumstances surrounding Ensign’s extramarital affair may be investigated,” University of Nevada-Las Vegas Boyd School of Law professor Jeff Stempel told The Sun.
A federal prosecutor told the newspaper that the uncertainty surrounding Bogden’s possible nomination has damaged morale in the U.S Attorney’s office that is currently led by U.S. Attorney Greg Brower, a Bush-holdover.
“The office appears to be in a state of confusion and flux with no real sense of leadership in place,” the federal prosecutor told The Sun.
The Sun said the unnamed lawyers it interviewed did not support the nomination of Bogden.
Posted in News | Comments Off
The Nevada U.S. Attorney office has scaled back Assistant U.S. Attorney Greg Damm’s subpoena to the Las Vegas Review-Journal seeking identifying information about people who commented on a May 26 article about an ongoing tax evasion trial, including one commenter who called Damm “evil incarnate.” Click here for our earlier report on the flap.
Now, the office is only requesting information about two comments that may be considered threatening to jurors or prosecutors.
Review-Journal Editor Thomas Mitchell has indicated he will comply with the new, much narrower, request. ”I’d hate to be the guy who refused to tell the feds Timothy McVeigh was buying fertilizer,” Mitchell said in the R-J article. But the ACLU is not satisfied. The civil liberties organization has filed a motion to quash the new subpoena.
U.S. District Judge David Ezra will have to decide whether the two comments constitute a threat to the safety of jurors or prosecutors. One of the comments refers to the jurors as “12 dummies” who should be hung if they return a conviction. The other comment came from someone who wanted to wager ”quatloos” (Star Trek currency) that one of the federal prosecutors would not reach his next birthday.
Both comments have been removed from the site because they violate the paper’s policies, the R-J reported. After the newspaper publicized the subpoena, the number of comments on the story almost doubled, from 100 to around 200, the paper said.
The scaled back subpoena bore the name of Assistant U.S. Attorney Eric Johnson, not the author of the original subpoena, Damm. This isn’t the first time Damm has been the subject of public scrutinty. Last year, Damm was blasted by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals for witholding 650 pages of evidence from the defense.
Judge Kim Wardlaw wrote: “This is prosecutorial misconduct in its highest form; conduct in flagrant disregard of the United States Constitution; and conduct which should be deterred by the strongest sanction available.” Wardlaw dismissed the charges and refused to allow a retrial. Nevada U.S. Attorney Greg Brower’s spokesman Natalie Collins told Law.com that ”OPR’s investigation concluded that the U.S. Attorney’s Office did not engage in any intentional misconduct.”