The Senate confirmed five former and current prosecutors for federal judgeships over the weekend, following the confirmation last Thursday of four other new judges . The recent actions break a logjam of nominees that Democrats had complained were being held up by Senate Republican objections.
In the action over the weekend:
- Raymond Joseph Lohier Jr. was confirmed as a member of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit. Lohier is the chief of the securities and commodities fraud task force in the criminal division for the U.S. Attorney’s office in the Southern District of New York. He has also served as deputy chief and chief of the office’s narcotics unit and deputy chief of the securities and commodities fraud task force during his 10 years at the office. Read more about him here .
- Carlton W. Reeves was confirmed as a U.S. District Judge for the Southern District of Mississippi. Reeves worked in the district’s U.S. Attorney office from 1995 to 2001. He served as chief of the civil division and district election officer. Read more about him here .
- Edmond E-Min Chang was confirmed as a U.S. District Judge for the Northern District of Illinois. He has been an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the district since 1999. He has served as chief of appeals in the criminal division and deputy chief of the general crimes division. Read more about him here .
- Ellen Lipton Hollander was confirmed as a U.S. District Judge for Maryland. She worked as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in Baltimore from 1979 to 1983. Read more about her here .
- Denise Jefferson Casper was confirmed as a U.S. District Judge for Massachusetts. She worked as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in Boston from 1999 to 2005. Read more about her here .
Raymond Lohier (New York University)
Carlton W. Reeves (Pigott Reeves Johnston)
Ellen Lipton Hollander (gov)
Denise Casper (Boston Bar Association)
Article printed from Main Justice: https://www.mainjustice.com
URL to article: https://www.mainjustice.com/2010/12/20/senate-confirms-five-prosecutors-as-federal-judges/
Copyright © WDC Media LLC. All rights reserved.